Submit an application to participate in UNDP Global Summer Internships Program in 2024. United Nations Development Program Global Internships are open to international students without the requirement of IELTS.
What is UNDP?
The UNDP is a wide-reaching UN development aid agency, with branches in 170 nations and headquarters in New York City. The prime objective of UNDP is to combat severe poverty and social inequity. Sustainable Development, Democratic Governance, Peacebuilding, and Climate and Disaster Resilience are the four main elements in which UNDP works.
The UNDP organization assists countries to assemble policy frameworks, fostering leadership skills, and developing ties and institutional infrastructure to produce favorable impacts for globalization via technical support and specialized guidance in these segments. More so, measures to address gender inequality and encourage the involvement of minority groups. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is primarily concerned with promoting economic and social development policies in its member countries.
The UNDP focuses on the following issues:
- Progressive Growth
- Human Rights
- A Decrease in Poverty
- Closing Gender Inequality Gaps
- Peacebuilding and Democratic Governance
- Disease Awareness [HIV and AIDS]
- Working to Promote Civic Involvement and achieve the Millennium Development Goals
Perks of UNDP Internships Around the World
The winners of UNDP internships will be happy to enjoy the following benefits at UNDP sites while working as interns:
- UNDP interns are qualified to earn a monthly allowance that depends entirely on the service area, according to the UNDP Internship Policy.
- The allowance will be paid monthly, with part-time internship duties allocated correspondingly.
- If an intern is funded by an organization, government, or another third party, UNDP will compensate the intern for the difference, if at all, between both the outer financial assistance and the relevant UNDP allowance, as per guidelines.
- Besides the allowance, the intern, that will be funded by the administration or establishments, will be responsible for all other costs associated with the internship.
- UNDP will not be held liable for any expenses occurring as a result of accidents, disease, or fatalities that happen during the internship.
- The intern should demonstrate that they have a healthcare or insurance plan.
- Interns are not viewed as UNDP employees and are not permitted to deputize the organization in any official manner.
What about Visa Costs and Accommodation?
- You or your financing organization will be accountable for all visa charges and procedures, if compulsory to do the internship.
- You or your sponsor entity will be liable for the fees of registering in a legitimate worldwide health coverage program and will be required to produce the supporting information:
- An authentic, signed copy of a Medical Certificate of Good Health
- Verification of approved insurance coverage for the agency’s location
- Proof of Life/Accident Insurance that is effective in the agency’s location.
- During the internship, you or your supporting institution will be accountable for all lodging expenditures.
UNDP Global Internship Programs:
The UNDP Internship Program for 2024 is to give applicants interested in international development a chance and a deeper understanding of UNDP’s duties.
As a result, this initiative is appropriate for those wanting practical knowledge of the challenges of sustainable growth and worldwide poverty elimination.
What are the areas of study that the UNDP Internship requires?
This internship experience brings together students and fresh graduates from a wide range of disciplines. The following are the most popular fields of focus in this initiative:
- Public or Business Administration
- Social and climate-related niche
- Environmental Studies
- International Relations
- Other related areas
What are the responsibilities of those chosen for the UNDP Internship?
The roles played fluctuate depending on the time of year and the needs of the respective units to which interns are assigned. Nevertheless, the following are the primary responsibilities:
- Composing Documents
- Data Categorizing
- Helping with Planning Meetings, Conferences, Discussion Boards, and other collaborative activities
- Publishing guiding practices and knowledgeable narratives
How long does the UNDP internship last?
While the UNDP internship can stretch for up to 9 months in exceptional circumstances, the UNDP internship typically lasts between 6 weeks to 6 months.
What is the UNDP internship’s weekly volume of work?
As per the department, you may be given part-time or full-time work, which entails 40 hours each week.
Where are the UNDP internships situated?
There are options available at the UNDP Headquarters in New York, however, there can be prospects at the UNDP’s numerous offices and representation branches worldwide.
When does the internship with the UNDP begin?
The intern must consult with UNDP at the launch date of the apprenticeship. As the dates can vary, a notification about details will be given upon your selection.
More so, feedback is given by the mentor responsible for reading a review of the intern’s achievement at the end of the internship.
What is the chance of Employment after the internship?
Internship contribution has no bearing on employment prospects with the organization.
The UNDP internship and practical training will, however, stand out in your resume, and will bring you on top when applying for other organizations. Erstwhile interns have moved on to work for the UNDP as well as other UN organizations.
What are the UNDP Internship Requirements?
- You must be enrolled in a graduate school program (Master’s or Ph.D.), or you must have completed a bachelor’s degree.
- You must be in your final year of an undergraduate program (Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- You must have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree within the last 12 months.
- At UNDP, bilingualism in one or more of the three authorized languages is mandatory. You must know English, French, or Spanish.
- Understanding Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, or an Eastern European language can benefit you.
- At the beginning of the training, you must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be residents of a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) member country.
- Communication, planning and organizing, collaboration, technical understanding, and client alignment are the most essential attributes.
- You must demonstrate your capacity to interact with various linguistic, national, and ethnic diversity, as well as enthusiasm in doing so.
- You must also take great interest in the agency’s specializations and honor the UN Charter’s and UNDP’s mission fundamentals.
What are the UNDP Internship Limitations?
- You cannot be directly related to an employee of UNDP.
- Apart from a monthly allowance, UNDP is not liable for any other costs occurring at the time of the internship.
- You will not be recognized as stand-ins for UNDP employees.
- You are not permitted to speak on behalf of UNDP in any professional capacity.
UNDP Internship Application Process:
Internship applications are commonly accepted year-round, and the selection procedure is decentralized between many UNDP divisions. The UNDP E-recruitment System lists all internship opportunities. You must submit applications under the specifications for each vacant post.
The internship application process is completed through the UNDP E-recruitment System, which lists all available positions, and includes the following stages:
- Look for a job opportunity in your specialty
- Write up your profile information (academic and professional experience)
- Fill out the application and proceed to submit it
How does the Selection Process work?
The selection procedure varies based on the division or location to which the intern applies, but it typically consists of the following steps:
- Building a profile and putting together an application
- Application Submission
- Assessment of the application
- Interview based on competencies
- Confirmation of selection
What to expect from the Interview?
The shortlisted candidates for the UNDP internships program are approached for the interview, which usually takes around 30 minutes and can be conducted through Skype or telephone. The highlighted elements discussed in the interview differ depending on the position and department selected.
Nevertheless, in essence, the inquiries target personal or behavioral characteristics, including your expectations, preferences in the area of knowledge you are applying for, and previous experiences.
How does UNDP Shortlist?
- You must have a grasp of customer service and show interest in and understands the customer-oriented quality of service delivery, which includes procuring, logistics, and financing.
- You must think creatively. Consider alternatives to traditional tactics and procedures.
- You must have the ability to quickly solve problems.
- Takes a direct, hands-on methodology, even when working with inadequate data.
- You must communicate and convey in groups and have a constructive approach with a goal-oriented perspective.
- You must consciously seek feedback and exhibit an interest in learning from others as well as from both favorable and unfavorable situations.
- You must show the ability to collaborate and demonstrate cultural, gender, religious, racial, national, and age awareness, and adaptability.
- You must display and enhance teamwork and co-creation both inside and outside to accomplish common goals and outcomes.
What other competencies must you show?
- Knowledge of database management
- Detail-oriented, with relevant secretarial and administrative managerial experience preferred.
- The capability of working both individually and jointly
- Good verbal and written communication abilities
- The commitment to providing in a high-pressure situation
- The capacity to manage complexities and various obligations at the same time, balancing long-term tasks with the immediacy of pressing needs
- You must be enthusiastic and progressively apply theoretical knowledge to practical work.
- You must be willing to collaborate with others and generate practical insights.
- Strong multitasking skills in a high-demand and fast-paced workplace
- Handles tasks with vigor and a good, deep sense of responsibility continuously.
What documentation is a must for the UNDP Internship Program?
- Completed UNDP Internship Application Form
- A copy of your CV/résumé
- Documentation of college enrolment and program end date;
- A letter of reference from a prominent educator who has personally overseen the candidate and can testify to his or her abilities.
- Motivation letter outlining your grounds for pursuing the UNDP internship as well as your long-term plans.
Formalities after selection:
- Signed Internship Agreement Form
UNDP Internship Application Deadline: June 30, 2024
The last date to submit an application for the 2024 summer UNDP internship program is set at June 30, 2024.
What are the UNDP Internship Program’s performance measures?
Your previous experience, abilities and capabilities, and academic qualifications will all be taken into consideration. It is critical to submitting your application ahead of schedule, adhering to the digital system’s timeframe and the local time specified in the notice.
After your application is uploaded, you will be unable to make any adjustments.