The Nelson Mandela Scholarships for the class of 2024-2025 is South Africa’s foremost and most prestigious international academic funding program. Funded by the Government of South Africa, the Mandela Rhodes Foundation, and partners, the program provides fully-funded, annual South African scholarships. Nelson Mandela Scholarships 2024-2025 will be open for application on March 2024.
Every year, the Nelson Mandela Foundation offers fully-funded South African Nelson Mandela scholarships to exceptional young people from Africa to pursue a degree at one of approximately two hundred partnering universities in thirty countries across the globe.
The Mandela Scholarship is an incredible opportunity. This program focuses on developing a leadership journey that will last a lifetime by providing funding, training, and access to global leaders.
Funding Coverage Plan of Nelson Mandela Scholarships:
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship can provide you with the funding for your studies in South Africa. It covers funding for the core costs associated with one-year Honours or two-year Masters degrees in any field at a recognized university. The MRF provides each registered participant with some financial support which includes:
- While studying in South Africa, the scholarship will cover your tuition, exam, and registration fees.
- You will get financial support twice a year.
- You will receive accommodation and meals.
- You will get a personal allowance to cover your expenses.
- You will get the grant to cover all of your basic needs.
- You will have access to medical aid.
- The students will receive allowances for study materials and research.
- Financial support is available to help ease the burden of travel between home and host institutions for international scholars at the start and end of their studies.
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not pay or support fees associated with your university application or visa applications. Nor do they pay for the accreditation of your existing degrees through SAQA—which may be a requirement to enter your chosen course.
Eligibility Criteria for Nelson Mandela Scholarship:
The Nelson Mandela Scholarship will allow you to study at an advanced university level and receive leadership training. To be eligible for the Nelson Mandela Scholarship 2024, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- To be eligible, you must be a citizen of an African country.
- Male and female candidates are also eligible to apply.
- The primary requirement for the scholarship is age. When you are applying, your age must be between 19 and 29.
- You must have an excellent academic record having a first degree with above-average academic results (70% or an upper second).
- To be eligible for financial support, you will need to provide proof of registration at the start of each year and an academic progress report two weeks after the beginning of the second semester.
- The applicants should demonstrate their potential to exhibit the characteristics of Nelson Mandela’s ideals of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership.
- The foundation is looking for students with a track record of leadership on their campus or in their communities.
- The ideal candidate should have an excellent academic background and a commitment to service. They should be passionate and driven with a thirst for knowledge and growth.
- The applicants doing the postgraduate study (Honours and Masters’s degrees) are only eligible to apply.
- If you are completing your undergraduate degree in 2024, you can apply for the scholarship as long as you have completed your degree by January 2024.
Steps of Application for Nelson Mandela Scholarships:
To apply for the Nelson Mandela Scholarship, you need to follow the following steps:
- To apply for this program, you must use an online application platform.
- Log onto our applications platform, and fill out the online application form.
- There, you will be able to upload your application, including your essay and supporting documents.
- You should have three people who will write your recommendation letters.
- They need time to write their letters, so please make sure you give them plenty of advanced notice.
- Recommendation writers must complete their letters, sign on to the platform, and upload letters directly before the deadline.
- Your application will not be submitted, until you have uploaded all materials, including the letters of recommendation.
Nelson Mandela Scholarship Application Deadline:
The Nelson Mandela Scholarship program welcomes applications each year from March to November, for the following year’s intake. Applications open from 1 March 2024 to 21 April 2024.
Admissions under Nelson Mandela Timeline:
The applications will open on Tuesday, 1 March 2024. You can add recommenders and begin uploading your documentation and writing your essay from this date.
The applications will close by the end of Thursday, 21 April 2024. Late and incomplete applications will not be accepted.
You will be informed by the end of June if you are through Round two or not. iv. You will be informed by the end of July if you are through Round three or not.
- In August you will know if you are invited for the interview or not.
- In October, selected candidates will give their interviews.
- By the end of October, you will be informed if you are selected for the Nelson Mandela Scholarship or not.
- From October to December Mandela Rhodes Scholars must seek admission to the universities of their choice, and arrange for a study visa for travel to South Africa in January.