Applications are open for the British Scholarships for the class of 2024-2025 at the University of Birmingham. In this most unprecedented of years, the University of Birmingham has started offering a major new scholarship for international students, the Global Masters, and undergrad Scholarship, in which a free education award will be provided to support the students in their studies.
Approximately 30 British scholarships will be awarded a value of up to a full-tuition fee waiver British Council Scholarships will be issued. This award will be deducted from the total tuition fees owed by each successful scholar.
The deadline to apply for the University of Birmingham scholarship is January 25, 2024.
Coverage of Birmingham University Scholarships:
- The Birmingham University Scholarship provides a full or partial tuition fee waiver or £10,000 tuition fee discount for approximately 30 academically talented students.
- This award will be deducted from the total tuition fees owed by each successful scholar.
- Please note that scholarship awardees must have sufficient funds to cover the full cost of living at the University of Birmingham (plus any visa/travel expenses associated with studying in the UK) and must also be able to pay the outstanding tuition fees that are not covered by the scholarship.
- If you withdraw from your program of study at the University this scholarship will also be fully withdrawn and you will be required to pay your tuition fees. The date of your withdrawal (as reported to Taught Student Administration) and the type of program will determine the amount of tuition fee that you will be charged.
Eligibility Criteria for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
All taught Undergrad, and Masters’s Programs are eligible for this University of Birmingham scholarship, with the exception of programs in the Birmingham Business School, for which there are separate MSc and MBA scholarships on offer.
In order to be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements. Candidates must:
- Have received, and accepted, an offer of admission for a taught bachelor, or Master’s degree at the University of Birmingham UK Campus to study in the 2024/24 academic year.
- Be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the eligible countries.
- Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee purposes.
- Start their studies at the University in September/October 2024 on a course delivered on-campus.
- Be academically exceptional and able to provide evidence for this in the scholarship application statement. Candidates must also have, or be expecting to achieve, a first-class overall grade (at least 70% in the UK system) in a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
As an example, the minimum equivalent grade requirement in the US, India, Nigeria, and China are as follows:
- 3.5 out of 4.0 and above in the US GPA system.
- 70% in the Indian grading system
- 3.5 (out of 4.0) or 4.5 (out of 5.0) or 6.2 (out of 7.0) in the Nigerian grading system
- 85% grade awarded by a top-tier Chinese University, 90% grade awarded by a mid-tier Chinese University
Students in receipt of a full University of Birmingham scholarship or sponsorship covering full tuition fees from an alternative internal or external source are also not eligible for this scholarship. Those with other partial awards may be able to conjoin this scholarship with other scholarships.
Acceptable English Language Test at Birmingham University:
PTE Academic, IELTS academic, Duolingo, Cambridge English exam, TOEFL, Language Cert ESOL SELT (UKVI), or Trinity ISE III are accepted as English language proof at the University of Birmingham.
Eligible Countries for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
Candidates must be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the following countries in order to apply for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
- Hong Kong (SAR of PRC)
- China (PRC)
The Process to Apply for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
This is a competitive scholarship by the University of Birmingham and candidates who fulfill the eligibility requirements outlined above, and who has been issued and accepted an offer of admission to a Master’s degree at Birmingham, are welcome to apply for this scholarship by completing their online scholarship application form which can be accessed using the link below.
Complete the form accurately and in full as any incomplete applications will not be considered and cannot be amended once submitted. Only complete the scholarship application form once as any duplicate applications will not be considered and we will only review your first submission.
Documents Required for University of Birmingham Scholarship Application:
The candidates will be requested to submit any of the following listed documents at the time of the application submission for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
- Copies of all transcripts and certs
- Scholarship Application Resume
- Study plan essay for MS degree applicants
- Letter of Motivation
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- Copies of the undergrad or grad certificate
- Research proposal for doctoral degree candidates
- A copy of a valid passport for at least one year
- Recommendation letters should be by two of the former professors
Selection Process and Awarding for the University of Birmingham Scholarship:
Once the deadline has passed the University of Birmingham scholarship applications will be collated and a long list formed on the basis of the information provided. Selection panels will be formed comprising academic and professional services staff across the five colleges of the University, which will be tasked with shortlisting and selection to identify those candidates demonstrating the highest academic talent.
Successful candidates will be formally notified via email before 31 March 2024. Regrettably, owing to the volume of applications received, we will only be contacting those who have been successfully selected.
The University will make its best endeavors to input the scholarship details onto each student’s CAS record for visa application purposes by 31 July 2024 (this ‘note’ will be visible for the UKVI but not the student). The scholarship, applied as a discount to tuition fees, will be awarded upon enrolment of the successful candidates in September 2024.